June 10 last date for receipt of applications The Ministry of Overseas Indian Affairs, Government of India has announced the Scholarship Programme for Diaspora Children (SPDC 2010-2011) to assist children/wards of PIOs / NRIs to pursue undergraduate courses in several disciplines in India. The Educational Consultants India Limited (Ed.CIL), a Government of India Enterprise, has been designated as the Nodal Agency for implementation of the SPDC.
The following are the highlights of the SPDC 2010-2011 :
- 100 scholarships are being offered for undergraduate courses in several disciplines including Engineering/Architecture/Technology, Humanities/Liberal Arts, Commerce, Management-BBA/BBM, Computer-BCA, Journalism, Hotel Management, Agriculture/Animal Husbandry, Sciences, Law, etc. - The programme is open only to PIOs/NRIs from the specified 40 countries, including Kuwait, having a larger concentration of Indian Diaspora.
- 50 percent of the scholarship would be reserved for PIOs. However, in the event of non-availability of suitable PIO candidates, the unfilled slots could be assigned to NRI candidates.
- NRI candidates would be eligible for the grant of scholarship only if their total family income per month does not exceed an amount equivalent to US $2,250 (US dollars two thousand two hundred and fifty only).
- Children ot NRIs should have pursued at least three years of education inclusive of 11th & 12th or equivalent (not beyond), in a foreign country during the last six years, and should have passed the qualifying examination abroad.
n The last date for receipt of duly filled-in application forms in the prescribed format by Ed.CIL is 10th June 2010.
- PIO/NRI students already studying in India on a self-financing basis or under any other arrangement will not be eligible under this scheme, which is open only for fresh admissions in the first semester/year of undergraduate courses.
- Candidates would be selected on the basis of their performances in the qualifying examination (equivalent to plus 2 stage in India) which decides the eligibility to apply for the scholarship scheme. The candidates would also have to fulfill all the criteria prescribed for the purpose.
The guidelines and the application form can be downloaded from http://www.educationindia4u.nic.in/shared/downloaditems/Img180.pdf